Good Afternoon
Saturday, May 23, 2026
The ShareOps Times
497 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Return to Kano From Niger Republic

497 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Return to Kano From Niger Republic

May 23, 2026 · By shareops

No fewer than 497 stranded Nigerian migrants evacuated from Niger Republic have safely arrived in Kano State through a coordinated humanitarian operation led by the Federal Government.

The returnees were received by the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons after arriving from Agadez in Niger Republic on Friday, May 22.

Returnees Arrive at Kano Airport

The migrants landed at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport at approximately 12:25 p.m.

Officials from the commission’s Kano Field Office, alongside several government agencies and humanitarian organizations, were present to receive the returnees upon arrival.

Evacuation Conducted With Support From IOM

Speaking during the reception exercise, the Federal Commissioner of the commission, Tijjani Aliyu Ahmed, explained that the evacuation was carried out through a joint humanitarian effort involving the Federal Government and the International Organization for Migration.

Represented by Kano Field Coordinator Lubah Liman, the commissioner stated that the migrants were evacuated under the IOM’s Voluntary Humanitarian Return programme.

According to him, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had previously informed the commission about plans to evacuate stranded Nigerians from Agadez between May 22 and May 25, 2026.

Evacuation Happening in Two Batches

The commissioner disclosed that the operation is being conducted in two separate batches in partnership with the IOM and other relevant government agencies.

He noted that while the first batch was initially expected to include about 600 returnees, a total of 497 migrants eventually arrived in Kano.

Agencies Involved in the Reception Exercise

Several security, immigration, and humanitarian agencies participated in the reception and documentation process.

These included the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, National Emergency Management Agency, Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, the Department of State Services, SEMA, and the Nigerian Red Cross Society.

Returnees Undergo Documentation and Humanitarian Support

Authorities said the migrants underwent documentation procedures, including MIDAS registration conducted by the Nigeria Immigration Service.

After the screening process, the returnees were transported to the Immigration Training School in Kano, where they will receive feeding, profiling, and additional humanitarian assistance.

Breakdown of the Returnees

Officials provided a demographic breakdown of the 497 returnees:

174 adult males
97 adult females
137 boys
89 girls

The government says efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe reintegration and welfare of the affected migrants.

Conclusion

The successful evacuation of 497 stranded Nigerians from Niger Republic highlights ongoing humanitarian efforts to support vulnerable migrants and facilitate their safe return home.

Authorities have assured that the returnees will continue receiving necessary assistance as the evacuation exercise progresses.

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

shareops

hmm, may God help us in this country o